Let me start off by saying thank you to Aisha – who blogs about Life in a Headscarf – and writes both earnestly and with sass (something I am still a novice at) – for nominating me for the Sunshine Blogger Award. I’ve had an acute case of writers’ (bloggers?) block recently and her questions will allow me to do some serious soul-searching, keyboard tapping and brain juice spilling. Sorry for that graphic imagery. That grade 10 school outing to the Medical Morphology Museum for Biology never did wear off…
The rules of this award are:
- Thank the person/persons who nominated you in a blog post and link back to their blog.
- Answer the 11 questions sent by the person who nominated you.
- Nominate 11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo on your post and/or on your blog.
What would you choose to name yourself given the opportunity? why?
Hmmm. Most people could never accommodate the sound of my name in their mouths as I was growing up. Truth be told, they still can’t. Thus, Nimmi… which is Sanskrit and means ‘sparkling eyes’ according to the Internet (which is never the best source but the one I use most often nonetheless). I also liked Shaa-ira – which is Arabic and Urdu for poetess because I do dabble in that occasionally. Also, the name itself sounds very poetic.
If money were no object, what would you be doing with your life?
A Bollywood actress, most probably. My family wouldn’t be happy about it initially but in the end, they’d come around and watch pirated versions of my movies on the sly.
What is a line from your favorite poem?
“I fall outside the warm stole of history.” – Gabeba Baderoon, Cinnamon
What’s something people would be surprised to know about you?
People would be surprised if they knew where I live. *smirk*
When was the last time you sobbed your heart out?
When I read some accounts of people who had been in the Grenfell Tower in London, I cried. It was so horrific.
What’s your biggest fear?
Dying of unnatural causes because I don’t want to end up in the morgue. The trauma of that grade 10 outing rearing it’s head again.
What’s the best compliment you’ve ever received?
Any compliments on my eyebrows. Just kidding. Compliments that are completely sincere with zero ulterior motives or envy are the best compliments.
If you had to choose one meal to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Breakfast. Full stop. Weetbix, Oats and Tasty Wheat rock my world and forms the crux of the most important meal of the day.
Are you currently in love?
If you could have breakfast with anyone- dead or alive- who would it be?
My maternal grandmother.
What’s the most fearless thing you’ve ever done?
Can I get back to you on that? 😉
*In best MC voice* And the nominees are:
- [A different] Aisha from www.stardustandlipstick.wordpress.com
- Mrinalini from Lipstick for Lunch
- Saara from www.uctrambles.wordpress.com
- The Vision of Persephone
- Hello Word Breakout Girl
- Jerishka at The Urban Slay
- Nazeefah at All About Alli
- Meza at Meza Mtshali
- Stunners Stay Uniqueness
- Nadia from Zimbophilia
- Simone from an Ordinary Girl
My new set of questions for you to answer:
1. What’s something you love about yourself?
2. What is one trait you cannot stand in people?
3. Who is your favourite fictional character?
4. What is your favourite film dialogue?
5. Which city have you always wanted to go to and why?
6. Which languages can you hold a five minute conversation in?
7. If you could only wear one type of shoe your whole life, which would it be?
8. What is your comfort food?
9. What’s the most thought-provoking thing someone ever said to you?
10. What is your favourite place in your hometown?
11. Are you a blood donor?